Wings Wide Open, Eyes On The World

The Flappy Falcon

Don’t Give up on Yourself

image courtesy of QuoteAddicts

image courtesy of QuoteAddicts

Every once in awhile there is certain percentage of teens that don’t graduate because of problems that they have. In fact, 90% of teens who drop out have real issues that cause them to drop out.  For me the problem was I have had anxiety problems at school.  I am the quiet person that teachers don’t even know is in their classroom. I used to be that student that is there, but doesn’t speak and used to be a loner. I know I am not the only one with this problem. It is not a good thing to keep having to be like this your entire life because it can cause you problems and prevent you from succeeding in life or reaching goals that you set for yourself.  I want all teens to know, and parents of teens, never to give up hope because if I overcame my problem, and I did, any teen can conquer their problem.

When I was a freshmen in high school I was a totally different person from what I am now. Not only was I a loner, shy, quiet, but also I got bullied and the school wouldn’t do anything to help out and stop it. I talked to the principal and counselors in the office.  They said they did things to solve the problem, but whatever they did, it didn’t help.  I even talked to the teachers of the classes I got bullied in, but they did nothing to stop it. Yet, they all still wanted me to go to school, calling home when I was absent, knowing that I was getting bullied and just wasn’t feeling comfortable there. No kid or teen is going to go to school feeling uncomfortable. They will come up with a million excuses each day to avoid being put in a situation that makes them feel bad about themselves.  I missed a lot school freshmen year and when sophomore year came around, I was missing a lot of credits.

I got the news from my counselor that I would be going to South Valley, to help make up the credits, but that I was on the waiting list to get transferred over and she didn’t know how long that was going to take.  Since I knew couldn’t wait any longer to leave the high school, I decided to go into independent study.  I was doing fine, but, since I had was so behind with my credits, due to so many absences freshman year, I was told if I wanted to graduate on time I had to go to South Valley.

My first reaction was, “No, I can’t go there.”  I had heard South Valley is a bad school; that the students who go there commit crimes and are bullies and I was trying to get away from bullying.  However, I had no choice.  

When I got to South Valley, after the first week, I realized that what I had heard simply is not true. I was still the same person as freshmen year where I was still quiet and didn’t hang out with anyone, but that changed little by little. I started to notice that everyone knew each other, was and is friendly, nice to each other, and the teachers payed more attention to you. Also, no one judged you and didn’t make that ugly face at you where you felt uncomfortable.  Obviously they would look at you weird because they didn’t know you but that was all.

Days passed by and I was still the same until I had been at the school for three weeks. I felt a little better; I felt like I belonged in this school. Students started asking me why I was here and I told them that it was because I was behind on my credits. Days later Jessica Ceja and Brianna John, two girls that go here, asked me who I hang out with and I responded, “With no one.”  So, in response, they asked me if they can hang out with me and I said yes.

Even though I started talking to Brianna and Jessica during break and lunch, I was still a quiet person in my classes. Days went by and I was still the same person until the last weeks of school when I started participating in my classes and talking to other people during class time. My classmates would ask me why I was a quiet person and I would respond because I just didn’t know what to say. Summer came and then the next school year started.  All of the teachers already knew me because I am a hardworking student, but more students started to notice that I am nice, smart and friendly, so more people started to talk to me. I started to hang out with more people.

I love helping out people that need help in class and I don’t mind doing it because I know what it is like when you don’t have someone that you can help you. I tell my friends that whenever they need help I can help them out. I used to be that student that tried to hide from everybody, but now, I am that confident student who seeks out students who are like how I used to be and I try to help them out.

This school has helped me not only get “out of my shell” but also achieve my goal of getting caught up with my credits and be able to graduate on time. Look at me now — I only have a few credits to get done and I will be able to graduate on time. I have been honored as Student of the Month and my advisory class even chose me to be their representative — to be their voice.  

This school is the best school I have been to because I feel comfortable, I can be myself, and I don’t have to worry about people judging me, they accept you for who you are or appear to be. I am really grateful for the staff that this school has; they have done a great job in making this school a better place for students that are behind in credits or just don’t like high schools that are too big. South Valley is not a “bad” school; it is a school that can make you succeed in getting your credits done and also help you get a job.  Every school should do that.  However, what South Valley does above and beyond is it helps all of its students feel comfortable with themselves.  For me, this experience has changed who I am and how I see myself.  I know now that I can be myself and not be worried about how others judge me.  People will still judge me, but I believe in myself now — and that was a hard lesson to learn because I nearly gave up on myself. I know from experience when people don’t feel comfortable with themselves it is hard to overcome. Don’t ever give up on yourself….keep hope.  As long as you believe in yourself, other people will start to see it too and you can become the person you want to be and do the things you want to do.   

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Don’t Give up on Yourself”

1. Addie Reyes on October 31st, 2016 12:20 pm

I like how she shared her story and a way of getting the reader into the article. I identified with her story because I have been bullied too. The article was easy to follow and was easy to understand. I liked it a lot. And now i know more about Adriana

[Reply]

2. dikota on November 10th, 2016 12:06 pm

I like how the writing flows smoothly and makes sense.It shows true emotion while what complication are face in life

[Reply]

3. Rachel on January 12th, 2017 12:06 pm

I like the story she shared, and the way she opened up and didn’t hold back. I learned that I am not alone in the anxiety world. I liked the content in this article because it is very relative to many people.

[Reply]

4. karla on January 12th, 2017 12:09 pm

I really enjoyed reading the whole process it took her until she reached her comfortable place, which in this case is South Valley. You can really feel the emotion that’s behind this article because like she said, everyone has been through this kind of scenario but there will always be a better outcome to all of this. I learned that there are a lot more people that come to this school mostly because of bulling and that’s not a bad thing. I too myself have experienced bulling head on and it takes time to recover from it. I liked the ending of this article in particular because through all the bad and mischief she had to face she rose up and became a person with a voice, and a beautiful one at that.

[Reply]

5. Chelsea on January 12th, 2017 12:17 pm

Adriana did a very excellent job by keeping the reader interested by telling her personal experience with bullying, the article was easy to understand and i also liked that even though people were bullying her she is a very nice and helpful person to many.

[Reply]

6. nicholas w. on February 2nd, 2017 12:03 pm

i like how she starts the article with a fact that really grabs the readers attention, it this goes to show how some people really feel and why their successes aren’t really shown or achieved. I also appreciate how she had the courage to tell others how she really felt through this article.

[Reply]

7. Kristelle Espinoza on March 3rd, 2017 12:07 pm

I like how she described about her story and the way she wrote the start of this article with a fact. She did a good job of on describing her story of how it was like before she became the person she is now today. The article also states things that are very true about South Valley. I learned that Adriana also had anxiety and also of how her life was like before she went to South Valley. What I liked about the article was the title of the article and that Adriana tries to send the reader a message saying that you can accomplish anything and have a successful life by believing in yourself.

[Reply]

8. Brianna on August 25th, 2017 1:44 pm

I like this story because it keeps you interested. The way she wrote it makes you want to read more and more because she shared her experiences and how the people she had in her life helped her. For anyone who reads this shows that you learn to never give up on yourself because even with the worst experiences you can still have people to help you. I liked this subject because it inspired me to never give up and to try your hardest to succeed in life.

[Reply]

9. Seth Hopkins on October 25th, 2017 11:14 am

THis is a good story in my opinion cause it was not only well written but it had both meaning and it is was interesting.

[Reply]

10. Seth Hopkins on October 27th, 2017 12:27 pm

The way in which it is written i think it was pretty good i mean it wasnt boring and no typos. Learned what this person was going through. I dont like the fact that the person almost gave up.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

FEATURED NEWS

Drone Flying: The New Industry

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Games

Libra – A Custom Made Magic The Gathering Card

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Games

Leo — Another Custom Made Magic The Gathering Card

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Games

Virgo – Another Custom Made Magic The Gathering Card

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Games

Scorpio — Another Custom Made Magic the Gathering Card

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Games

Gemini — A Custom Made Magic the Gathering Card

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Arts & Entertainment

Yo-Yo!

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Games

Cancer, The Crab: A powerful custom-made Magic the Gathering Card

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

Book Reviews

Nightrise – A Book Review

• Don’t Give up on Yourself

SHOWCASE

The Visits

Wings Wide Open, Eyes On The World
Don’t Give up on Yourself